- Amla-10-15 chop them in slices (and remove the seed)
- Turmeric powder 1/2tsp
- Asafoetida powder – a pinch
- Split Fenugreek seeds –1tsp (methi kuria ), you can use whole fenugreek seeds
- Broken Mustard seeds –1tsp (rai kuria), you can use whole mustard seeds
- Red chilli powder -1tsp
- Vegetable oil (**)
- Salt – 2 tbs
- Wash Amla dry them completely. You are doing this to make sure there is no moisture or dust left there.
- Cut them into pieces and deseed them.
- Take a big vessel/pot ,heat oil (very hot at smoking point).Be very very careful here while adding the amlas. Once the oil is leaving heavy smoke .Off the gas and then add the slices at once (careful the oil will bubble up and spill( so a big deep pot )) and set it aside.
- Let it cool completely. it takes 2-3 hrs.
- Heat a pan, roast the Mustard seeds .Heat oil in a pan and fry Methi seed till its slight brown and leaves aroma.Turn off the heat, cool it and blend them coarsely.
- Once the amla is completely cooled ( at this point if you want you can remove some oil)[I personally remove some oil before adding the masala ]
- Now add Mustard and Methi powder , Red chilli powder, Turmeric , Asafoetida powder,Salt to taste and mix well.
- Pickle is ready to eat. But taste good after 1 -2 days.
- This is a very important step if the oil taken is not sufficient enough your pickle will not last for a long time .
- Oil should be double or more of the sliced amlas . So that the amla should be soaked in it.
- If your amla slices is approx. a bowl then take double the oil so make it 2 or 2and half bowl of oil.