- 1 cup Besan ( Benbal gram flour)
- 1 1/2 tbsp Semolina (Rava)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp ginger- green chilli paste
- 1/2 tsp citric acid (nimbu ka phool) or 1 tsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp fruit salt
- 1/4 tsp oil for greasing
- Other Ingredients
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds (rai/ sarson)
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds (til)
- 2 green chillies — chopped
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 2-3 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- For The Garnish
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- Combine all the ingredients together, except the fruit salt in a bowl and mix well adding water as required (approximately ¾ cup) to make a thick batter.
- Just before steaming, add the fruit salt and add 2 tsp of water over it.
- When the bubbles form, mix gently.
- Pour the batter immediately into a greased 125 mm. (5″) diameter thali and shake the thali clockwise to spread the batter in an even layer.
- Steam for 12 to 15 minutes or till the dhoklas are cooked. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in small pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the sesame seeds, green chillies and asafoetida, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for a second, while stirring continuously.
- Remove from the flame, add 2 tbsp of water and mix well. Pour the tempering over the dhoklas.
- Cool slightly and cut into equal pieces. Serve immediately garnished with coriander and Mint chuteny