Rasgulla is a syrupy dessert popular in India, especially in West Bengal. It is made from Chhena (Indian Cottage Cheese) dough, cooked in light syrup made of sugar.Among all the sweets, Rasgulla takes the first place in our home for many reasons, it is delicious, it is easy to make, needs only basic ingredients from the kitchen and the chances of failure are very less if followed correctly.I tried many methods of preparing this sweet but this one I found the best and it turned out surprisingly awesome.
1 liter Whole Milk
2 Tablespoon lemon syrup
8 Cups Water
1 Cup Sugar
1/4 tsp Maida flour/ all purpose flour
1) Pour all the milk into a vessel and bring it to boil. (Make sure to stir the milk occasionally and scrape all the milk stuck to the rim back into the milk.)
2) Switch off the cooking gas and wait for a minute. Add 1 tbsp of lemon syrup into the milk and give it a light stir. Add 2nd tablespoon and stir it again. Let it cool for 2 minutes.
3) After 2 minutes you will see that the milk has now curdled. Take a muslin cloth and pour the curdled milk (Chhena) onto it.
4)Now gently wash the Chhena under cold running water to avoid the lemon smell. Now gently squeeze Chhena to remove the extra water. Hang the Muslin Cloth for 30 minutes.
5) After 30 minutes, remove Chhena from the cloth. Gently knead this Chhena with your palm till there are no lumps and add Maida (Make sure you don’t put a lot of pressure.)
6) Divide it into 15 -20 equal parts and shape them round. Keep it aside.
7) Take another vessel. Add 7 Cups of water, 1/4 Cup of sugar . Bring this mixture to boil. Once it starts boiling add the Chhena balls into it one by one. Cover it with the lid.
8) Let it be on medium to high flame for 5 minutes. After that, let it boil on low flame for 5 minutes. In total after 10 minutes on the flame switch off the cooking gas and let it be covered for another 30 minutes. Make sure you don’t open the lid till then.
9) Take another vessel. Add 1 Cup Water and 3/4 Cup Sugar and Cardamom powder and boil this for 5 minutes and let it cool for sometime.
10) After 30 minutes take them out one by one in a bowl and add into the new sugar syrup.
11) Refrigerate the Rasgulla’s for at least 2 hours